Scala was first built as a cinema. Designed by H Courtney Constantine, it was never quite finished because the First World War to began. During the war it was used to manufacture airplane parts. Then, after 1918, it was used as a local labour exchange for demobilised soldiers returning from the war. Finally, in 1920, it was completed and open for business. Scala Cinema went on to become one of London’s most famous repertory/art house cinemas. In 1993 the Scala Cinema Club went into receivership after losing a court case over an illegal screening of Stanley Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange. In 1999, Scala underwent a major revamp and once again hosts live performance events.
Please visit the venue’s website for up-to-date travel and facilities information.